Spring Heeled Jack Comic by David Hitchcock.
[7]
This comic caught my eye a few years back as something that was quite unique and visually interesting. the story itself takes another route in the Spring Heeled Jack folklore, involving Aliens and a man who builds a suit to combat it , which in turn causes mass panic as there are then two versions in Spring Heeled Jack in London.
However, It is the Images which really caught my eye. with textured pencil drawings. the comic has a foggy and almost translucent feel to it, which helps set the scene of the iconic period of London in the victorian age filled with smog and mist.
I found my editions of it again and found it to be exactly the kind of influence I needed for my own project with its saturated colour scheme and detailed texture for clothing and landscape.
Sin City
[10]
Frank Millers Comic series "Sin City " was a great influence for my work for this project , the stark black and white imagery works well with setting a gritty setting similar to noir and grunge films and comics .
I took alot of influence from millers use of extreme black and white areas to create drama and distortion in his images.
I took the same influence from the Sin City film franchise who strive to make the films' look as similar to the comics as possible , using the same stylised colour schemes and lighting .
Other influences included Artists and Images that I am very familiar with and use alot in my work such as Edward Gorey ( influences my mark making and inking ), Mike Mignola (influences in colour , story and character designs ) and the original penny dreadful and police illustrated stories )

No comments:
Post a Comment